Friday, March 25, 2011

Top Chef All-Star Finale

Top Chef All Stars Finale

You know I disliked the All-Star Top Chef season as a retread of ‘losers’. For the most part I went out of my way to NOT watch the first few episodes, and I feel I was wise not to. There were chefs, especially those hungry to be on TV that felt a need to venture outside their proven knowledge and experiences. It is most likely and now proven that this will lead you nowhere other than packing your knives.

It has been my guilty pleasure of watching the past 3 weeks of Top Chef. I have been surprisingly pleased with how things have progressed. I’m not going to lie and say I didn’t see a bit of content about the previous episodes, but for the most part I didn’t care about that rubbish.

The past few episodes have given us exactly what I like to see from top chefs; the ability to use their skills in professional kitchens with time being the most looming obstacle. These situations have proven to me that marking this season a “retread of losers” was quite a bit out of line. The judges table has been a tough place to play recently. No one has made any glaring mistakes or failed completely like how we’ve seen a few participants go down in the past even so late in the game. When that panel of super critics can’t decide who to send packing, well that is good TV in my opinion.

The finale is just around the corner pitting Richard Blais against Mike Isabella. Mike has been on a roll and his ego has grown by leaps and bounds at this point. He has worked his way into the chef we love to hate even if he does do a hell of a job. I have always liked Richard’s food and his demeanor especially interacting with Mike with a “just look at the score board” attitude. I don’t see either of them making any mistakes next week in another gut wrenching judges table. I’ll have my popcorn ready and be pulling for Richard.

No comments: