Thursday, June 17, 2010

I wanna be a vegetarian!

Well, maybe that statement goes a little too far. I would like to make a proper effort in making a vegetarian out of myself one day a week. I think a poll and subsequent post in the recent past shows I'm not alone in this effort. In the mean time I've learned a few things I'd like to share.


Flexitarian? I'd never seen the word either, and for due reason. It's a new word first uttered in 1992. That's pretty new as far as words go! A flexitarian is anyone who makes an effort to lessen the amount of meat in their diet. Genius! Personally, I'd rather stick to calling myself a once a week vegetarian. No disrespect to either faction.


Meatless Monday is a movement that has transformed over the past century. Yep, it was during World War 1 that Herbert Hoover took to a movement intended to urge families to reduce consumption of key staples to aid the war effort. The MM campaign has become a global effort to improve the health of individuals as well as the planet.


Lightlife is more than just another pop-up veggie food label. I mean it's contributed 5% of their net profits to organizations that work to protect children, the environment and human rights, all the while producing quality products that help those of us who choose a vegetarian lifestyle live one that is full of healthy, flavorful, and interesting dining options. Lighlife has a vast product offering, but I have come to like their line of entrees. They offer six international flavors all easy to prepare and a full meal. I particularly enjoy the Indian Veggie Malsala entree. They are available at Giant Eagle grocery stores in the Cleveland area, but they have a product locater here.


If you are like me, and find it somewhat difficult to go meatless any further into the week than Monday Lightlife offers a great line of meat substitutes. Like hot dogs, burgers, deli meats, even wings. Or consider one the delish entrees a perfect side dish for that fat T-bone off the grill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info- I didn't know Lightlife donated money to good causes. Maybe I'll write about them myself one of these days :)