Thursday, October 09, 2008

Finally brought my camera home......

This is corriander crust duck breast that we served chilled with a rosemary-fig panna cotta and licorice syrup at a benifit for Secon Harvest food bank in Lorian County.

Foie gras mousse, truffle pound cakes, green tomato marmalade, and cherry tomato salad.

This is a surf and turf that went over all to well a few week-ends ago. There was a half lobster on each place as the rest of the meat went into the risotto, with beef medallions and a garlic cream.

Simple boulliabase.
But what I'm looking for is some advice on taking pictures in the kitchen on the go. I'm fairly unhappy with how alot of them are turning out recently. First, with the flash on the picture is very bright, and can't even be fixed later with Picassa. Secondly, if I don't use the flash and find a bright spot in the kitchen there is a yellowish tone to the photo. I'm thinking of taking photos that aren't so close, then croping them later. Any advice would be appreciated for a working environment where I'm likely to have a camera in one hand and a pair of tongs in the other.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

BOB said...

the food looks great, even if the pics arent up to your par... everytime i took pics i had problems with light reflecting off everything since stainless steal is usually all around you... when i seen the professionals come into bp they always had a three sided cardboard set up that wrapped around the dish/place setting to control the light reflecting... maybe keep some cardboard box close by or some napkins for a quick back drop....

Anonymous said...

Found some links on photographing food:

http://tinyurl.com/3mq84

http://tinyurl.com/3pc74z

http://tinyurl.com/3w7bfy

Michael Walsh said...

thanks for forwarding me those links. while i do have a point and shoot there are alot of different settings, and i pretty much stopped at the 'cusine' setting and turned the flash off. I am interested to see what comes out when i start chosing different settings. thanks again.

maybelle's mom said...

they are not terrible, but first I would say do not use a flash at all. Place your plate in the brightest place in the kitchen. Set your camera's white balace to reflelct the light in the room (Florescent I would guess). Take the picture at the ISO setting. To avoid blur, make sure to hold the camera as still as you can by holding your elbows firmly to your side. Also, take many pictures.

I don't spend very much time taking my pictures, because I don't have much time. I have the setting all ready, so when I turn on the camera, I just hold it still click a few and then eat.

maybelle's mom said...

oh, one other thing, most web sites have great pictures because of post production. I see you use PICASA, which is fine, but you might want to download GIMP which is free and can make your pictures much much better (sharpness, color contrast).