Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Steaks and chops. part one


I’m having the rather pleasant experience of control over how my locally grown steer will be butchered in the coming days. I’ve done some research online, and found little more advice than, “trust your trusted butcher,” This is no advice for an untrusting man like myself. The best knowledge I came across was my experience with Fresh Fork Market, and knowing what cuts they prepped to sell after they fell a few heads in the past. My straight forward, but ignorant advice went like this;

“we want whole primal cuts, but cleaned well since you will grind it.
whole tenderloins, strip loins, boneless rib-eye, hanger steaks, skirt steaks,
and as far as roasts go, brisket, short ribs, and the chuck for us then keep up
with what the Burrito Bar needs,” Top rounds and other roasted as pre-arranged,

” and that leaves plenty for burgers. We can find a use for the tail and tongue, but I'm not a fan of the liver or heart. If we can get clean cut pipe bones aka marrow bones, reserved out of the stock bones that would be great roasted marrow bones! Also, sirloin steaks, I see
them on a lot of menus, I'm not sure how to butcher them from a primal cut, but
if we ask the butcher for 6oz sirloin steaks and he obliges that is really cool.”

In retrospect I think the only cut I forgot was the Flank, and I’m not so unsure that this cut isn’t part of the brisket? So this is where we stand. I will get things delivered in the next few days and we will see how things turn out. While at the restaurant we can utilize a lot more ground beef and roasts than a family would like to go through, but on the other hand, those steak cuts are much more lucrative for us, so we want to maximize their usage.

I’ll be back soon to let you know what I find out. If you have any questions, let me know, and I promise you an honest answer. I will say that I’m not looking to critique the butcher or the farmer, and since they have been part of the Black River Café in the past I consider them trust worthy purveyors.

No comments: