Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Race is On

With the rainy forecast, and the last few nights dipping into the 30’s it’s only a matter of time before springtime is in our rear view mirror. I’m finding my yearly desire for spring somewhat controllable this season. I’m racing to find ways to get that last hearty comfort food dish on the menu before the hats and scarves give way to flippy flops and tank tops. I guess there are those few strictly local seasonal items like ramps, or morels, but with the ever expanding global agriculture the list of ‘seasonal’ items has almost disappeared. Increasingly over the past 5 years, seasonal has lost the part of its definition that ascribes it the notion of limited availability. Even taking ramps and morels as an example, they have a growing season that lasts maybe a single month in northeast Ohio, but they will be available through my produce company for at least a month longer. Looking at a broader picture and we see that things like stone fruit, grapes, apples, berries, and tomatoes have become completely season less.

So what is a chef to do with the seasons? Well, the desire to buy local and in turn buy higher quality product drives a lot of what keeps a menu seasonal. I think the idea to present something that is historically connected with a season is obvious. Finally, seasonal is no longer about what’s available, but how we cook that changes. Everyone can appreciate a good braise, or stew after a trek through the snow, but after a day at the beach the same meal just seems inappropriate. This drives the seasons now. And I’m currently trying to squeeze every last day out of the winter season before turning the page.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey Mike! I took a class in braising last night only to learn I was already doing it with some of my recipes. Doh! Now, though, I can braise more than chicken thighs -- and I'm looking forward to it over the coming weeks. Yum Yum!

Michael Walsh said...

Chicken thighs are great. I'm glad to hear you are using them. They make for a great curry.

Anonymous said...

A tomato may have four seasons but only one of them tastes good.

Michael Walsh said...

The tomato is an odd story, because if you are willing to pay a very high price you can source heirloom tomatoes most of the year. A more accurate statement might be, somewhere in the world there is always growing a good tomato, so how much will it cost me to get it here in a timely manner in good condition.